Friday, April 29, 2011

Follow Friday: My Favorite Blog Posts This Week!

This has been a busy week in the genealogy blogging world, and I've been having fun catching up on some of my favorite bloggers, as well as checking out some blogs that are new to me! Here's what I found that might also interest you:
My cousin, Jennifer, over at Climbing My Family Tree was on a roll this week. I enjoyed all of her posts, especially her story on Shopping Through Ages. I loved that you could buy a number of fake beards from the 1896 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog! Jen also gave us a glimpse of an old salt dish that has been passed down through the generations of her family, and she shared with us a lovely photo of a church choir at in Lockport, NY, taken at Easter 1925. 

Deb at Adventures in Genealogy offered some helpful links for getting kids involved in genealogy, and made me wish I could get my nephews more interested in our family history. I'm not giving up on them, yet... =)

James at Genealogy's Star explained genealogy "citations" and inspired me to better cite my sources. I'm really bad at that, and I know it's going to bite me in the caboose one of these days. 

Elizabeth at Pulled Through the Knothole of Time (and who is also one of my Knitting Genealogy friends on Ravelry) shared a fascinating story about unusual naming practices in one generation of her family. I don't want to give away the ending of the story, so you'll have to click over to read it for yourself!

I got some good tips and inspiration on cleaning up my blog from Tessa at The Keough Corner. One improvement that I've already implemented is an added link at the bottom of each post that you can click to make the post "printer friendly." Thanks, Tessa!
Finally, Nikki at Family History Teacher caught my eye with her story about finding her great great grandfather's POW records from the Civil War. Congrats on that wonderful find, Nikki!
Thanks again to everyone for entertaining, educating and inspiring me this week. I can't wait to read all your stories next week!

Cheers,
-wendy

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions, and some new blogs to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wendy. :)
    The citation thing stinks, but must be done. I learned the hard way.

    ReplyDelete