Friday, June 10, 2011

Family Recipe Friday: Grandma Donna's Mayonnaise Cake

I've been on a bit of a Grandma Donna kick this week, so I think it's fitting that Family Recipe Friday is dedicated to her. If you saw my post from yesterday, you got a peek at her high school home economics text book from the mid-1930s. I was tickled to see that she had written quite a few recipes in the book, and I'll be sharing them with you from time to time.

Here's a recipe that made me raise my eyebrows: Mayonnaise Cake. I know, the name sounds kind of gross, but my mom remembers Grandma making this cake and she swears that it's really good. I need to test it out soon, and I'll let you know how it goes. Meanwhile, here's the recipe so you can try it out for yourself!

Mayonnaise Cake
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup flour
3 tblsp cocoa
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1 cup dates, chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tsp soda
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp vanilla

Mix mayonnaise and sugar, beat well. Sift flour, spices and cocoa. Dissolve soda in water. Add dry ingredients to mayonnaise mixture with water. Stir in dates, nuts and vanilla. Mix well. Bake in greased 9-inch pan, 350 degrees, for about an hour.
Here's a picture of Grandma Donna with my mom, Becky
(and what looks like Grandpa John's shadow!)
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wendy, Did you see the old fuse box on the house. I have lots of memories of "NO" electricity at that old house. We'll have to try the Mayonnaise Cake when we make the ebelskivers!

    ReplyDelete