Meanwhile, I've had the good fortune of finding a copy of the actual naturalization certificate of my great grandfather, Lars Hansen Madsen, in my mom's files.
Denmark and immigrated to California in 1908. For example:
- I see that he was a 23 year old unmarried man when he was naturalized on March 9, 1917. In fact, he married my great grandmother, Johanna Bruhns, just a few weeks later on April 4, 1917.
- He had already started to anglicize his name from Lars to Louis.
- He was all of 5 feet, 5 inches tall, and had a fair complexion, blue eyes and brown hair.
- He had no other distinguishing marks.
- He was naturalized in Alameda County, California. For some reason, I had been under the impression that he was naturalized in San Francisco, but I see that I was wrong on that count.