Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Obituary: Andrew Jackson Veale & Elizabeth Miller Veale

Here are the obituary notices for my maternal GGG grandparents, Andrew Jackson Veale and Elizabeth Miller Veale.

Andrew Jackson Veale, b. January 10, 1828, in Daviess County, Indiana, and d. December 16, 1904, in Maple Hill, Wabaunsee County, Kansas. His obituary appeared in the December 22, 1904, edition of the Eskridge Star newspaper.

Elizabeth Miller (Veale), b. May 29, 1828, in Indiana, and d. February 12, 1908, in Maple Hill, Wabaunsee County, Kansas. Her obituary appeared in the November 21, 1908, edition of the Alma Signal newspaper
 

Andrew and Elizabeth were married on August 22, 1849, in Pike County, Indiana, and raised 12 children. I love that her obituary makes special note of the fact that Andrew and Elizabeth Veale were the only couple in Wabaunsee County to have celebrated a golden wedding anniversary.

I've spent a lot of time researching these two because Andrew's grandfather, James Carr Veale, is another one of my Revolutionary War patriots, and I'm having a devil of a time finding one last piece of evidence I need to tie it all together: something (anything!) that definitively proves that Andrew's father is Daniel Veale (who is already proven to be James' son). Andrew's date of death was especially tough to nail down because he died in one town, his obituary appeared in another town's newspaper and, according to Elizabeth's obit, he was buried in a completely different town and county (although that cemetery has no record of him being buried with his wife!).

Sometimes, I think my ancestors are just messing with me for their own entertainment...

No comments:

Post a Comment