Thursday, January 13, 2011

Treasure Chest Thursday: An Actual Treasure Chest!

My very treasured chest from Grandpa John
For Treasure Chest Thursday, I thought it might be fun to share with you my favorite treasure chest!

This beautiful little hand-carved box was a gift from my Grandpa John Bartram (the bull rider from this post) to his mom, Alice Veale Bartram. Grandpa procured the box while he was on his trip to Australia to compete in the rodeo events at the World Games in 1936. At one point during their travels, the ship docked in Tahiti, and Grandpa did a little shopping while he was there.

Grandpa lived with us while I was growing up, and after he passed away in 1987, my mom ended up with the box. A few years ago, she gave it to me. It now holds some of my own treasures, including some vintage buttons, photos of my 1969 VW Beetle and a bunch of old security passes from when I worked at The Fillmore in San Francisco.

Here's another picture of Grandpa and a bunch of his rodeo friends at the World Games in Australia.

John Bartram is on the left

2 comments:

  1. I love this picture with the "Aussie" cowboys!" I also have a treasure box I got from my Grandma, but not as fancy as yours! I also wanted to tell you I love your blog background - I almost used the exact same one because I love leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johnie Schneider was my great grandpa. He is the third one in the picture, btw i love this photo!!! if you have any more PLEASE send to missjulia805@aol.com thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete