|Great Grandpa Louie is the sweet looking man|
in the front of this picture
Grandpa Louie came to the United States with his older sister, Hansine, and her family in 1908. He was just 14 years and 6 months old. They arrived at Ellis Island, New York, on April 26, 1908, on the Arabic. Here's the ship's Passenger List that lists him and his family.
Some things I learned about my Great Grandpa Louie from this wonderful document:
- He had blond hair and blue eyes.
- He was 4'9" tall at the time.
- He was listed as a "labourer."
- He was headed to meet his older brother, Hans Terkelsen Madsen, in Livermore, near San Francisco.
- He and his family first traveled to Liverpool, England. The ship, Arabic, left Liverpool on April 16, 1908, and took 10 days to arrive in New York.
- His father paid the fare for his journey.
- He did not have a ticket to his final destination (San Francisco).
- He did have at least $50 in his pocket.
- He and his sister's family were traveling with another Danish family from Ærø, the Groths, who would also settle in Livermore, California.
- He was neither a Polygamist or an Anarchist (!!!)