Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday: Milton Price Brittain and Nancy Garriott Brittain

Yesterday, I wrote about finding my GGG grandfather, Milton Price Brittain, on an 1874 Iowa plat map. I also found an 1849 United States land record for part of that land just after I posted (isn't that the luck?). So, Milton and his family are on my mind this week. For Tombstone Tuesday, I thought you might enjoy seeing his and his wife, Nancy's, gravestones. They are not buried together because Nancy moved back to Missouri after Milton died, and she passed away there.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Milton Price Brittain and Nancy Garriott were my paternal GGG grandparents. Milton was born on June 20, 1822, in Rockcastle, Barren County, Kentucky, and died on February 19, 1898, in Payne County, Oklahoma. Nancy Garriott was born on November 10, 1828, in Clark County, Indiana, and died on July 2, 1912 in Kirbyville, Taney County, Missouri. They were married on January 25, 1843, in Henry County, Iowa. He was 20 years old, and she was just 14 years old.

Milton's tombstone is really hard to read. This is what I'm able to decipher:
Rev M.P.
Brittain
Died
Feb. 11 1898
75 yrs 8 mos
I'm unable to read the rest.


Nancy's tombstone reads:
No pains, no grief,
No anxious fears
Can reach our loved one
Resting here.

Nancy Brittain
Nov 10, 1828
July 2, 1912
Age 85 Yrs

2 comments:

  1. I love the inscription on Nancy's gravestone. :)
    Do you know what church Milton was the pastor of? I wonder if there would be any church-related records available about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. Just did a Google search and came up with this:

    http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/periodicals/wrv/v2/n4/s65k.htm

    Milton P. Brittain was listed as ordained minister at Mincy Valley Baptist Church of Christ. His wife, Nancy, is listed with him. The site contains minutes of the church going way back, and M.P. Brittain is all over those (as well as other Brittains).

    ReplyDelete