Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Wedding Wednesday: Joseph Bartram and Alice Veale

Here's the wedding license for my maternal great grandparents, Joseph Bartram and Alice Veale. Joseph was born in 1860 in Wales, and immigrated to Kansas in the 1880s. There, he met Alice, who was born in Indiana in 1872, and moved to Kansas as a little girl with her family in 1879. They were married in Topeka, Kansas, on July 31, 1891.

I'm not sure why a judge signed the affidavit on the bottom of the document in 1948,
57 years after the marriage, and 18 years after Joseph died.
Joseph and Alice settled in Wabaunsee County, Kansas, and had a large family of 17 kids, most of whom survived to become adults. One of those kids was my Grandpa John, who was born in 1911. Between 1925 and 1930, Joseph and Alice moved with some of the younger kids, including Grandpa John, to California. They settled in Clear Lake, Lake County, and Joseph passed away there in 1930. Alice, known to my mom as Granny Barky, died there in 1954.

This is a picture of who I believe is Joseph, Alice and most of their kids. I think that Joseph and Alice are the older couple standing in the rear, to the right. If it's what I think it is, it's the only photo I have of them together. I love the hats, and how happy they look.

2 comments:

  1. I find the marriage license interesting because it looks like they (the government) were getting ready for the new century by putting "19___" on the licenses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, Renee Anne. I also wonder if the document was completed AFTER the marriage for some reason. I'm still flummoxed by the 1948 affidavit from the judge...

    ReplyDelete