Monday, March 14, 2011

Military Monday: Bill Brittain in the US Navy

William Lee Brittain, 1942-2003
My dad, William Lee Brittain, was in the United States Navy from 1960-1966 (the last couple of years were as a reservist). He was proud of his service and, from some of the pictures we've seen, he had a pretty good time, too.

He served aboard the USS Pictor, where he was a machinist and traveled to Japan, Okinawa, Hong Kong, The Phillipines and Hawaii. He also served aboard the USS Scamp, a nuclear-powered submarine. For at least part of that time, he was based at Hunters Point Naval Station in San Francisco. Here are some photos and documents that tell about Dad's time in the Navy.

Dad's Armed Forced ID card. I think he looks a little like
Elvis in that picture.
Bill Brittain, the guy in the middle with the black eye...
This is my favorite picture from Dad's Navy days. From what I recall of  Dad's stories, they were in some port in the Pacific and, apparently, they'd had a pretty rough night. Note the black eye on Dad. The other guys weren't looking too spiffy, either. 



Dad didn't talk all that much about his time in the Navy, but when he did tell stories, they were usually about his good times. He and I were both a little tickled to find out that one of his Bay Area haunts when he was stationed at Hunters Point was also a bar I liked to frequent in my younger days. Like father, like daughter!
Those Navy boys sure knew how to have fun! This was taken during
his time on the USS Pictor, and was likely somewhere in the Far East.
The USS Scamp is the submarine that Dad was stationed aboard

Some of the crew of the USS Pictor. This was the "M" division.
Dad is standing behind the guy in front who is second from the left. 
Some of Dad's memorabilia from his Navy days: the yearbook
from his time on the USS Pictor, and a statue of the USS Scamp
Dad's Honorable Discharge certificate

8 comments:

  1. If you have a chance, get some of the military stories, both good and bad. I didn't get enough of either of my grandfathers' WWII stories. I know one served in Japan twice and the other one was on a ship that left Pearl Harbor the day before it was bombed. Both are gone now and I don't have any more of their stories. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, Renee, he passed away in 2003. I wish I would have got more stories from him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, just wanted to let you know that I'm enjoying your blog and I've nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award. --Kathryn

    http://kathrynsquest.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Kathryn!! I'm glad that you're enjoying it and really appreciate your encouragement. I'm having a LOT of fun writing it.

    It's funny, you don't know how many cool family stories you have until you start telling them. I'm lucky to have a pretty darn cool family. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome Wendy! It's been a lot of fun for me too and I've learned a lot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its really a great honor to know more things related to military. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my great Grand father. I do not know any of my Brittain family. I came across this page in Hope's of finding them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Bill was my oldest brother. I would love to get to know you as I do not know many of us either

      Delete