Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sentimental Sunday: My Two Great Grandmas

Here's a photo of my two paternal great grandmothers: Jessie Luetta Halstead Brittain (Dad's paternal grandma) and Ethel Modena Martindale Hunt Dobbs (Dad's maternal grandma).
Jessie Luetta Halstead (1898-1974) and Ethel Modena Martindale (1896-1977)
They don't look terribly thrilled to be having their picture taken...
The photo was taken at my grandparents' (Woodie Brittain and Edith Hunt Brittain) home in Livermore, California. By this time, Ethel lived in Oklahoma (where both my grandparents were born) and Jessie lived in Oregon, so I think it was rare that they actually were in the same room together.

My sister, Cindy, and I were fortunate that we both got to know our great grandmas and spend time with them when they visited our family in California. They were sweet little ladies who liked to dote on their grandkids. =)

2 comments:

  1. That is special that you got to know your great grandmothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to have a photo of them together. I was fortunate to have known one set of great grandparents but the rest were gone long before I was born.

    ReplyDelete