Monday, May 30, 2011

Military Monday: Remembering our Patriots on Memorial Day

While i know that Memorial Day is traditionally a time to honor our war dead, this Memorial Day, I'd like to take a moment to remember all of the brave patriots in my family. Some actually saw battle, and all served well. Some died while in service, and some were fortunate to live long, happy lives once their service was completed. I thank them all for their service and sacrifices.

Here are just a few of the men in my family who have served in the military:

Top (L-R): My dad, William Lee Brittain (1942-2003); my grandfather, Woodie Leroy Brittain (living), with Grandma Edith and Dad; the grave of my 4th great grandfather and Confederate soldier, James Monroe Purser (1843-1914).
Middle (L-R): My great uncle Edgar "Bud" Hunt (1922-2004); my great grandfather, Andrew Lee Brittain (1888-1954), in WWI France; the Revolutionary War record of my 5th great grandfather, Nathaniel Brittain (1734-1776).

Bottom (L-R): The grave of my 4th great grandfather and Confederate soldier, Benjamin Franklin Jaggers (1832-1862); the Revolutionary War grave of my 5th great grandfather, Ambrose Garriott (1760-1834); my cousin, Stanley Christensen (living).
And, a big THANK YOU to all of the men and women who have served in all branches of the US military, both past and present!

No comments:

Post a Comment