Wednesday, May 4, 2011

(Not so) Wordless Wednesday: Francis Georgia Ann Purser and Joe Louis Underwood

Here's a picture I found a long time ago in some of my Grandma Edith Hunt Brittain's old files. It's an original photograph, and is written, in Grandma's handwriting, on the back: "Grandma and Grandpa Underwood". It took me awhile to figure out who these people were because, as far as I knew, there are no Underwoods in my ancestry. As I started to unravel Grandma's side of the family, it finally dawned on me that it's her Grandma Georgia Francis Ann Purser and her second husband, Joe Louis Underwood.
Georgia and Joe Underwood (my Grandma Edith's grandparents)
Georgia was the daughter of James Monroe Purser, one of my Civil War ancestors. She was born on October 7, 1871, in Searcy, Arkansas, to James and his first wife, Nancy Susan Hodge. She married my great great grandfather, William Calhoun Hunt (1860-1915) on March 4, 1891, in Lee County, Texas. William passed away in 1915, and Georgia was remarried to Joe Louis Underwood by the 1920 US census. At that time, they were living in Jefferson, Coal County, Oklahoma, and Joe was a share cropper.

With William Calhoun Hunt, Georgia had five children:

  • James William "Earl" Hunt 1891 – 1961 (my great grandfather) 
  • Velma S Hunt 1893 – ? 
  • Clarence Edwin Hunt 1896 – 1973 
  • Melvin Dean Hunt 1900 – 1969
  • Iva Naomi Hunt 1904 – 1972

  • Grandma Edith was born in 1920, which means that she didn't get to know her biological grandfather, William Hunt. She grew up with Joe Underwood as her Grandpa, so it makes sense that she referred to him in that manner on the back of the photo.

    Georgia passed away on July 14, 1956, in Henderson County, Texas. Joe is said to have died in 1952, presumably in Texas.

    Here's how I'm related to Francis Georgia Ann Purser:

    Georgia Francis Ann Purser (1871-1956) m. William Calhoun Hunt (1860-1915) >
    James William "Earl Hunt (1891-1961) m. Ethel Modena Martindale (1896-1977) >
    Edith Vivian Hunt (1920-1993) m. Woodie Leroy Brittain (living) >
    William Lee Brittain (1942-2003) m. Rebecca Elizabeth Bartram (living) >
    Me!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment